Thursday 8 December 2011

We have jobs!!!

It has been an interesting month.  It started with Jeremy calling me on a rare day off to tell me that he had been offered a job at Dannevirke High School.  Although he wont be teaching his preferred subjects History, Social Studies and Classics, just yet, he is looking forward to teaching English and Science.
After Jeremy had secured work for next year we set about planning our future around Dannevirke.

I applied for teaching positions in and around the area.  I felt like I had struck the jackpot when I got an email from the Principal at Norsewood and Districts School to say I had an interview, I had to read the email several times, as I was so used to receiving rejection letters I thought it was odd that this one started with: Congratulations!

Next followed a full on week of teaching, ending the week with two days at Wainuioru School when I received a phone call from Geovanna at Ross Intermediate in Palmerston North (a school I have had various enjoyable days relief teaching since returning from China) to find out if I was interested in a teaching position at Ross Intermediate.

This kind of put a spanner in the works as Jeremy and I had been out to Dannevirke to check out places to live, as with the Gorge Road shut the journey from Palmerston North to Dannevirke currently takes an hour (depending on how many trucks are on the road).  And having an interview set for the following week at a nice wee country school 15 minutes drive from Dannevirke!

Jeremy and I weighed up the pros and cons, the opportunities and the opportunity costs, finances, options the fact that I am a Provisionally Registered Teacher needing to complete 2 years supervised teaching to complete my registration, my current teaching experience, and my interest in developing my ICT skills, Ross Intermediate seemed like the natural choice.

The following day with a couple of phone calls to the Principal, Wayne Codyre, I had been offered and accepted the fixed-term teaching position.  After a quick trip into town for a celebratory wine with my future sister-in-law, and a run around the supermarket collecting bubbles and nibbles, I was off to Riversdale Beach to celebrate with Jeremy.

So the plan has been altered a little, instead of making a home in Dannevirke, we are moving to Ashhurst!!

No comments:

Post a Comment